Dog Eats Pair of Boots and Lives to Bark About It

dog eats boots xray

Probably every pet parent has experienced it: Finding a shoe that your dog mistook for a chew toy. (And it’s amazing how they seem to choose the most expensive ones.)

But imagine your dog scarfing down an entire pair of calf-length Frye boots. That’s what Vince, a 4-year-old, mixed-breed pooch from Philadelphia, managed to do Friday.

When his pet parents realized what had happened to the missing boots, they rushed Vince to the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Center (VSEC), where he underwent emergency surgery.

“These X-rays are absolutely remarkable, especially given that you can see and count the number of eyelets on the boots,” Dr. Laura Tseng, a specialist in critical care and emergency medicine with VSEC, said in a press release. “The sheer volume of what he ate is impressive and caused a very serious emergency situation.”

The veterinarians had to remove the boot fragments from Vince’s stomach. They were too large to have passed through his small intestines, and would likely have killed him.

“If your pet is experiencing vomiting, lethargy or a lack of appetite, these are all signs a foreign body may be present and they should see a veterinarian as soon as possible,” Tseng warned.

Vince is expected to be released from the hospital today. And his pet parents are expected to keep their shoes out of his reach.

Photo via Facebook


Laura Goldman

I am a freelance writer and lifelong dog lover. For five years, I was a staff writer for i Love Dogs. When that site shut down, I started this blog...because I STILL Love Dogs!