After 2 Dogs Die, IKEA Recalls Pet Water Dispensers Due to ‘Suffocation Hazard’

After two dogs died when they were drinking from them, IKEA announced today it is recalling 16,700 of its LURVIG Water Dispenser for Pets due to a “suffocation hazard.”

The $7.99 water dispensers were sold online and in 15 markets around the world from October 2017 to June 2018. The article number, printed on a sticker at the bottom of the bowl, is 303.775.72.

Made in China, the recalled water dispenser “has a black plastic base with two water wells. One well holds a clear plastic dome to hold and dispense water for drinking,” according to the recall notice. The dogs died when their heads became stuck inside the dome.

“We are saddened by the events that resulted in two dogs suffocating. We know that pets are important and loved family members for many of our customers,” Petra Axdorff, business area manager at IKEA of Sweden, said in a statement. “At IKEA, safety always comes first and that is why we have decided to recall the LURVIG water dispenser.”

Customers who bought the LURVIG dispensers are urged to immediately stop using them and return them to the store for a full refund, with or without the receipt, or to call IKEA Customer Service toll-free at 800-661-9807.

Laura Goldman

I am a freelance writer and lifelong dog lover. For five years, I was a staff writer for i Love Dogs. When that site shut down, I started this blog...because I STILL Love Dogs!