AUG. 7, 2015 UPDATE: Two former employees of this Petco store have been charged with a class 4 misdemeanor for animal neglect.
Following an investigation into the death of Colby, a 2-year-old Golden Retriever who died of heatstroke after being left in a drying cage at a Petco grooming salon in Midlothian, Va., Petco announced today it is taking full responsibility for the tragic incident.
“We take full responsibility for what happened in Midlothian, and remain heartbroken over Colby’s untimely passing,” Petco said in a statement, according to WWBT.
“Pet parents place their trust in us, and we realize that trust is earned. We understand there is no way to make up for the loss of Colby, and our thoughts continue to be with his family during this difficult time.”
On May 29, the Petco store’s assistant manager told Colby’s dog mom, Allison Marks, that a groomer had put Colby inside a drying cage and then left the store to go to a graduation.
That employee was immediately suspended, and was terminated after the investigation.
To prevent similar tragedies in the future, Petco said it would make changes, such as removing drying cages from all of its grooming salons, and providing additional training to groomers. The company said no heat was used in the drying cages, but didn’t offer an explanation as to why Colby died of heatstroke.
Marks told WVTR May 31 she planned to press charges.
“You can’t replace a dog like that,” she said. “He was the most lovable dog ever.”
Photo via Twitter