As Alan Spencer ate a pickled onion last week, the skin became lodged in his throat.
The retiree from East Yorkshire, England, tried to cough it up, to no avail.
“It went straight down my throat and blocked the air completely,” Spencer told the Daily Mail. “I was absolutely petrified. I was coughing and choking, and leaping about trying to get it free.”
As he went to the front door to try to get the attention of a passerby, he collapsed next to his Labradors, Lexi and Nancy.
Suddenly 18-month-old Lexi sprang into action — literally.
“All of a sudden, out of the blue, I felt this almighty crash on my back and it was Lexi,” Spencer said.
Lexi had jumped with all four paws on her dog dad’s back, dislodging the onion skin from his windpipe.
“She saved my life, most definitely,” Spencer said. “If it wasn’t for her, I honestly don’t think I would be here. People will say they are only animals and they don’t know what they were doing, but Lexi is so clever. She is very canny.”
Spencer is doing fine, although he said he had some pain in his back and throat for a few days. As for Lexi, she’s been getting plenty of treats as an award for saving his life.
“Every time I even make a slight cough now, Lexi turns her head quickly,” Spencer said.