A 10-year-old Chocolate Lab from Indiana couldn’t possibly have a more appropriate name.
On a hunting trip Saturday with his dog mom, Allie Carter, the Lab stepped on a shotgun, pressing the trigger and shooting Carter in the foot.
The dog’s name? That’s right, Trigger.
As Carter was hunting waterfowl in the Tri-County Fish and Wildlife Area, she set a 12-gauge shotgun on the ground with its safety off, WANE reports.
It could have been much worse. Carter was taken to a local hospital and treated for a gunshot wound to her left foot and toes.
Carter, who is 25, apparently did not take the free hunter education course that is required of anyone applying for a hunting license in Indiana who born after Dec. 31, 1986, the Indiana Department of Natural Resources reported in a press release.
Conservation officers remind everyone that accidents like this do happen — even accidents caused by dogs who aren’t “ironically and aptly named Trigger.” To prevent them, they said to always point the muzzle of a firearm in a safe direction and use the safety mechanism.
Another way to prevent them might be by taking up a safer hobby for you and your dog.
Photo credit: Steven Jackson (This “Smilin’ Pup” is not Trigger.)