During a severe thunderstorm early Tuesday morning, lightning apparently struck a house in Frankfort, Ky., sparking a fast-moving fire.
James Meadows, his wife and two grandchildren were fast asleep at the time. But thanks to Lacy, their 6-year-old rescued Dachshund, the family lived to tell the story.
“Lacy barked and woke me up,” Meadows told LEX 18. “I walked out of the bedroom, and I see the couch and behind the couch was glowing.”
Meadows was able to get his two-legged family members and two of their three dogs out of the house before it was engulfed by flames. Tragically, the third dog did not survive.
“We rescued Lacy, so she rescued us back,” Meadows told LEX 18 as he scratched the Dachshund’s ears. “She’s a hero in my book.”
A GoFundMe.com account has been created to help the Meadows recover from the loss of their house. To make a donation, click here.
Photo via LEX 18