According to a press release, Barkworthies, which is based in Richmond, Va., is recalling the following items that were distributed on May 6:
Barkworthies Chicken Vittles
Lot Code: 1254T1
Size: 16 oz. Plastic Pouch
Best Used by Date: May 2016
The recall was initiated yesterday after the Colorado Dept. of Agriculture found Salmonella in one lot of the product. The same batch tested negative by a third-party independent laboratory before it was released for distribution, according to Barkworthies. No additional products are affected by this recall.
Salmonella can affect animals who eat the contaminated products, and there is also a risk to humans who handle the products, especially if they do not thoroughly wash their hands (and any surfaces the product touched) afterward.
The symptoms of Salmonella poisoning in both pets and people include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Pets may also become lethargic. If you or your dog experience any of these symptoms after eating or handling the product, see a doctor or veterinarian.
For a full refund, return all of the unused product to its place of purchase, along with a completed Product Recall Claim Form available on the Barkworthies website.
For more information about the recall, visit the Barkworthies website or call, toll free, 877-993-4257 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. EST.
Photo via Barkworthies.com